Libby’s Favorite MS-Friendly Recipes
Spring is in full swing and summer is just a stone’s throw away. Summer can be taxing on those with multiple sclerosis and we need to focus more than ever on ways to keep our bodies rejuvenated and full of energy to thrive during the hottest times.
I have come up with some great recipes that are designed to keep you cool and full of all the nutrients that will help you to thrive right through until fall!
First of all, we do not need to be stuck in a hot kitchen. It is important that we keep our food fresh, easy and quick to prepare. If we need the stove, it should only be briefly. Get in, get out and nosh on some goodies!
My favorite start to a warm day is with a fresh plate of eggs. Eggs are a great source of vitamin A, folate, vitamin B5, vitamin B12, vitamin B2, phosphorus, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin B6, calcium and zinc. Coming in at only about 80 calories each, you have yourself an incredibly versatile and deeply healthy start to your day.
Here is my go to egg recipe that is always sure to please!
Spicy Eggs Avocado
- 6 eggs (farm fresh if you can find them)
- 1 avocado (pitted and roughly chopped)
- 1 chili pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce of your choosing
- Begin by warming up your pan on a medium/low heat. Add the butter and let it melt.
- While your butter is melting, beat all of your eggs with a little salt. The salt will help break up the egg whites and create a fluffier egg.
- Once the butter is melted, pour your beaten eggs into the pan and add your chili pepper, green onions and regular pepper.
- Keep your eggs moving by folding them with a fork. I like to cover the eggs at this point for a minute or two. The steam that gets trapped by the lid creates a super fluffy egg. Remove your lid and give the eggs another stir.
- Once they are cooked to your liking, pour the eggs onto your plates. Garnish with your chopped avocado and hot sauce of your liking and enjoy your morning feast!
Makes: 3 Servings
I love these eggs on any morning. I think I love the burn of the chilis the most. They give such a boost to my morning. The creaminess of the avocado is out of this world, and the flavor and texture are great for replacing your need for a high calorie cheese.
Avocado itself is a super food that shouldn’t be ignored! You get loads more potassium from a serving of avocado than you would ever get from a banana. They have no cholesterol, sodium or saturated fats, which is heads and shoulders above any cheese out there. And don’t even get me started on the amount of fiber and nutrients that these beauties serve up. Seriously, eat more avocado, your body will thank you for it!